Hummer is an automobile manufacturing company that is known for the production of SUVs and Trucks. In the year 1979, when the US army was in need of High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle that would enable smooth transit for the army, there were four companies that proposed to offer vehicles for this contract, but AM General got the contract and presented the first prototype in the year 1982. AM General first named the brand ‘Humvees’ which later changed to ‘Hummer in the year 1992 as the brand opened for the civil market. Hummer’s production line includes SUVs, Offroad Racing and Stretch Limousines.
- SUV’s: With the iconic Box type body and bulky appearance, the Hummer SUVs make a completely different style statement. Hummer has produced three SUVs till date which include.
- Hummer H1: The Hummer H1 is four-wheel drive vehicle which was inspired from the US army’s Humvees. The Hummer H1 laid the foundation of the Hummer Civil Production unit. The H1 was first launched in the year 1992 and was owned by many popular and prominent personalities. The vehicle houses 6.6 L turbo Duramax LLY V8 turbo Diesel/Allison 1000 engine that produces a maximum horsepower of 10 bhp and maximum torque upto 10 Nm.
- Hummer H2: The H2 is the upgraded of the Hummer H1, it was launched in the year 2002. The H2 has a 6.2L V8 engine that generates power upto 393 hp (293 kW; 398 PS) @ 5700 rpm. The interior of the vehicle features leather upholstery, Tri-zone climate control, 8-way power front seats, dual memory system, and BOSE premium sound system.
- Hummer H3: This was the last SUV that was launched by the company in the year 2005. The Hummer H3’s design was inspired from the GMT 355 and was the smallest of all the Hummer models. The H3 was designed for superior off-road performances while its interiors offered the luxuries that were compared to Cadillac and Buick at that time. The vehicle featured a 5.3 L (325 CID) LH8 V8 with Hydra-Matic 4L60-E 4-speed automatic and 5-speed manual transmissions.
- Off-Road Racing: In the year 1993, Hummer participated in the Baja 1000, and the race was led by Rod Hall. The team Hummer’s H3 was driven by Hall who finished in the first class in the Baja 1000. Team Hummer also won 11 production class wins at the Baja 1000.
- Stretch limousine: The American manufacturer also ventured into limousine production. Due to the popularity of the Hummer H2, the company chose the car model for the production of the limousine. The H2 was cut from the cab and chassis was expanded further to accommodate 14 to 15 people at once. The company was expecting demands from the US, on the other hand, it became much popular in the UK. There are very few hummer supercars in India, and with the company closing down, there will be no upcoming hummer supercars for some time.