Scorpio facelift may not feature hybrid tech

  • Published By: Droom
  • 10 July 2017
  • 831 Views

The company, however, will continue development of hybrid tech for export.

The facelifted Scorpio could miss out on mild-hybrid technology due to the higher taxation on hybrid vehicles under the Goods and Service Tax (GST).

The company's managing director, Pawan Goenka, stated that the higher tax rate has put a few automakers future hybrid vehicle strategy in a state of flux.

"We will soon be coming out with a non-hybrid version of the Scorpio... Demand for hybrid vehicles will have to be reassessed. Hybrids may even get phased out," said Goenka in a conference call with reporters. Mahindra will continue to develop hybrid technology but primarily for export.

"We have individually approached the government to reconsider the tax on hybrids, but it certainly seems that the decision is firm and final. I am not expecting any rethink [on the higher tax rate for hybrids] in the short term," Goenka added.

Hybrid vehicles attract a rate of 28 percent and an additional 15 percent cess, taking the total to 43 percent under GST – that’s the same as a luxury car.

Recent News

Upcoming Tata Peregrin Sedan - What We Know So Far

A mid-sized premium sedan Tata Peregrin will be based on Tata Altroz.

Read More
Tata Nexon XZ+ (S) Launched at Rs 10.10 Lakhs
  • Hot

Boasting of several new features, Tata Nexon XZ+ (S) is positioned between the XZ+ and the top-end XZ(O) grades.

Read More

News You May Like

Hamilton wins Canadian GP, beats Vettel

The Mercedes driver beat Vettel by over three tenths of a second, teammate Bottas finished third.

Read More
Oliver Heilmer is now lead designer at Mini

His vacated position at BMW’s Designworks division will be taken over by Holger Hampf.

Read More
Download App